Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Since arriving in Peru in September, Brenda and I have made many new friends but one of them stood out in our hearts this Christmas. She is a lady who works extremely hard every day, and has done so for many years to support her and her two children. About a month ago she invited us to her house. She doesn't have a lot of money but her house was nicely decorated and well kept. The one thing that stood out to me was the poor state of her roof. When I asked her about it she said that the roof in her livingroom fell down a few months ago and that during winter when there is heavy dew, water leaks into her kitchen.


Brenda and I talked it over and we decided that our gift to our friend this year would be to put a new roof on her house. I searched around for lumber and was very happy to find dry pine at a local hardware store. I enlisted Juan Carlos to help me with the job. He was very happy to do so because he had no experience in this area and has now learned a new skill. This is unusual construction for Peru because lumber is so scarce but the result is still very nice. Our friend has had lots of nice comments on her roof from her neighbours. Thanks be to God for this skill that I have learned in my life that now allows me to bring joy to others half way around the world.

No comments: