Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Love is patient, love is kind.....

While we have been home in Canada the last two months Tyler and I have been meeting with our pastor each week. This has been an incredible blessing to us and our marriage and family have improved so much. We have been studying God's design for marriage and working to make changes where we were falling short. Another thing we have been doing is reading 1 Corinthians 13:1-8 to each other every day. Admittedly it did seem kind of silly at first, but as I began to focus on what the words meant and the purpose of this passage it became a favourite part of my day.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
1Corinthians 13: 1-8
As I read this passage I am provoked to think what motivates my actions. I can do some pretty great things but if it is not done in love than it really has no worth. As I read on and come to the description of what love is I am challenged. Do I love my husband and children like this? Sadly I have to admit that I fall short often. I realize that this passage shows me how God loves and through His power I am able to love like this. I encourage you to read this passage for yourself and I hope that it will be the blessing to you that it has been to me and my family.

No comments: