Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grace in the Midst of Grief

This past week has been one of the most difficult I have experienced since we arrived here nearly three years ago. It began on Tuesday when I received a call from a friend telling me that one of the moms from our moms ministry was in the hospital and that she had just given birth to a stillborn baby boy at 39 weeks. I cannot explain in words the emotions I felt as we prepared to go visit with Melina* and see how we could be of help to her and her husband.

When we arrived at the hospital it was difficult for us to get permission to enter her room. Thankfully after expressing our concern about her loss and her not having any other family they allowed me to see her. As soon as I saw her face, Melina's first words to me were "Mi bebe, mi bebe es muerto" (my baby, my baby is dead) Grief again took hold of my heart as she cried and held my hands. What do you say to a mother who has lost her child? Knowing that there are no words I can say to bring true comfort to her, I held her and told her how I loved her and would be there for her.

The following day Tyler and I went to pick Melina up from the hospital. We needed to take the baby directly to the cemetery to be burried. I am so thankful for God's perfect grace in those difficult moments. He is so faithful and I know that I was able to support Melina only through His perfect strength. Please be praying for Melina as she grieves the loss of her son and for me that God would give me wisdom in caring for her.

Brenda
 
* Name has been changed to protect privacy.

No comments: