Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Recycling Pens and Pencils

My sister in law Jen is a teacher in Canada. A few months ago, we were talking about the large expense that school supplies are for many of the families we work with. Jen is head of her schools enviromental group and she came up with a great idea to recycle her students school supplies at the end of the school year. With the help of the kids and families from her school, they collected enough supplies to fill 40  pencil cases with pens, pencils, pencil crayons and more. They also brought reusable lunch bags. Today we went to visit with some of the families from our care center ministry. It was a lot of fun to see the kids faces light up when they opened their pencil cases and saw all the goodies inside. Here are a few pictures from our visits.




Thank you to everyone from Clemens Mill Public School who helped with the collection and organizing of pencil cases. Your kindness in sharing your school supplies with be a great help to several families in Peru.

4 comments:

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

That is so cool! It is so neat that others can use these items. When I was in Romania after our VBS I would take the crayons and divvy them up between the kids. They were so excited to get them. It makes me feel bad that we are a throw away society. When I got back the next school year I got some great deals pencil boxes and crayons for 10 cents each. I bought a whole bunch and sent them with other stuff collected by the church. Your Sis in Law ROCKS! Great Idea!

Janelle said...

Hi Brenda,

I love your blog. I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award. You can check it out here.
www.sweetteaandgiggles.blogspot.com

Janelle

Brenda said...

Thank you Tara and Janelle, you are both so kind. I must say that living here has opened my eyes to a lot of things and I am so grateful to be able to live here with my family. I hope that we will be able to do this recycle project again in years to come.

Kerry_Kid Giddy said...

That is such an awesome idea!!! -kg