Friday, September 3, 2010

Hexagon Craziness

The other day I was browsing through a few of my favourite sewing blogs, when I came upon a Quilt Along using hexagons. I have never done paper piecing before and thought I would try it out. As was predicted by fellow quilters, it is addicting and I have now decided to join the quilt along and make a quilt for my husband's grandmother for Christmas.

Because of living in South America and not having any other visitors before we go on furlough I have had to be creative and design my own templates for the piecing, but I don't mind. So how about you? Do you want to join me in this quilting advernture?  Pop on over to Texas Freckles blog to learn about quilting with hexagons and have some fun.

Here are a few pictures of what I have done so far.

The beginnings of Grammy's quilt. I am using Fig & Plum by Fig Tree Quilts. On average I am basting about 80 hexagons a night. 240 down about 900 to go!

My first attempt that got me hooked, using scraps leftover from Sarah's Yellow Brick Road quilt.


P.S.
Here's a link to the flicker group with some inspiring pics.

1 comment:

Amber @ Striving For 31 said...

I wish I could quilt... they are so beautiful! I love the hexagon pattern.