Friday, October 29, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Cupcake Quilt

Amy at Amy's Creative Side is hosting the Bloggers Quilt Festival. Pop on over to her blog to check it out.
Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

Three years ago we moved from Canada to Peru. When we moved, I decided to make special quilt for each of my daughters. I came across the Yellow Brick Road pattern and decided to try it. It was the first time I had made a quilt using fat quarters.

I chose this particular fabric for my youngest daughter. The first gift I received for her when she was born was a pair of sleepers with little cupcakes on them, they were my favourite. Myah affectionately became nicknamed Pinker due to all of her pink clothes. When I came across the cupcake fabric, I couldn't resist.  I admit that I did not like the compination of colours while I was piecing it, but when it was all put together, I loved it.  I am grateful to my mother in law who helped me with the hand quilting. It makes this quilt even more special that it was worked on by two generations. It remains one of my favourite quilts to this day and Myah sleeps with it every night.


Myah with her quilt
Hand quilting

24 comments:

The Tulip Patch said...

this is a beautiful quilt with such striking colors...and Myah is perfectly coordinated with it!

Linda said...

I really love this quilt...the colors are great...love the prints...and what a cute little red-haired girl!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It's a beauty and I can tell Myah loves it!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Okay, this is a great combination of fabrics. I have a whole stack of pink and orange ready to make into something, but I really like the addition of yellow. and Myah is adorable. I have red hair too, so I might be a bit partial in that area.. anyway, love your quilt.

Michelle said...

I love that pattern. I like the colors you used in this quilt...very nice!

Doris said...

Did you use the fabric from the sleepers in there? That's a fun way to keep the baby clothes, if they aren't worn out from washing and wearing! Adorable quilt and young lady!

Sarah Craig said...

It's beautiful, Brenda! I'm so glad you shared it with us!!

Sew Lovins said...

vibrant, adorable colors!

Simply Sandy said...

I love this color combination! What a sweet quilt!

Chris said...

I love the Yellow Brick Road pattern. Your colors are fabulous.

Carol said...

Lots of very pretty fabrics. Cute.

Cathi said...

What a fabulous quilt for a little girl!! Love the cupcake fabric!

Allie said...

Canada to Peru? What a sea-change! I love this quilt - a very happy quilt, and your daughter is adorable!

Lisa said...

Love the colors! And love your very cute little red head!

Karen said...

That's a fabulous girls quilt. Great fabrics and lovely hand quilting.

Karen said...

This has turned into a stunning quilt. Love the colours and the design. I can't imagine your patience with hand quilting something so big. Gorgeous.

Martine said...

des couleurs éclatantes félicitation

Angie said...

Impressive hand quilting! Beautiful colors!

Leslie said...

this quilt is awesome!!!! i love the colors...your hand quilting is gorgeous

Christine said...

Cute fabric and great colors! I also love the handstitching, the hard work paid off.

Nita said...

What an adorable quilt and little girl. Isn't it funny how fabric we think we don't like becomes the perfect fabric for the quilt? I love all the pinks for a red-headed girl. Reminds me of another quilt using pink for another red-head, my cousin's grandmother. Her quilt was purple and pink. Hard to imagine, but gorgeous. ~Nita

Vicki said...

I love this quilt! Great colors, and hand quilting make it extra special.

Kody said...

BEAUTIFUL! Love the colors. Following from Craft Nuggets (http://craftnuggets.blogspot.com)

Eileen said...

darling quilt and obviously perfect for your little girl! she blends right in there. God bless you in peru. thanks for sharing this fun and vibrant quilt. your family is so cute. have a great day