Thursday, November 11, 2010

Canning and Preserving...Ever Tried it?

I have several memories from my childhood of my Grandma MacDonald coming to our house in the late summer and early fall to help my mom with her canning. I remember that I did not care for the smells of her chili sauce or relish, but oh the jams and the fruits, they were delightful.
My Grandma was one very special lady. She was an amazing cook and could whip something up without the need of her recipe (she had them all memorized) and it would come out amazing. One year she even taught me how to make Pumpkin Pie while I was visiting with her at my uncle's farm and she let me make a mini one for myself. She was a lot of fun.

Recently, I have been looking into canning and preserving some things for the first time. I admit the thought occured to me during our first year in Peru however, canning supplies and tools are not something to be found here. I am hoping to buy some while we are on our furlough to bring back with us.  I have dreams of making jams, pumpkin butter, barbeque and chili sauce, and I hope that I can do this with our girls.

Do you have a favourite recipe you use for jams, jellies or other preserves? Do you want to share them? Maybe you have some great tips you could share with me, I would love to hear from you. 
Pictures from
BERNARDIN


1 comment:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I love making jams - my favourite last summer was nectarine. I can't wait for the summer fruits to appear so I can make some more.