Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hazel Irene

The other day my girls started to ask me questions about a favourite memory from my life for one of their classes.

It didn't take me long to recall one of my first memories spending time with my grandma on her farm. When I was in junior kindergarten my dad took me away for a weekend to visit his mom and brother. I don't remember a whole lot of detail except that I ended up getting an earache and that I also went on my first snowmobile ride.

Remembering this brought a flood of other memories of my grandma to mind.

I remember that my grandma was an amazing cook. I guess she had to be with six kids. She used to come to our house and help my mom with canning in the last part of summer and early fall, jams, jellies and her yummy chili sauce! My grandma was the first one to teach me how to bake a pie and she chose my favourite; pumpkin. She let me bake one for myself in this tiny personal sized pie plate and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

My grandma lived about an hour or so away from our home most of my life. So we only got to visit with her a few times a year. The summer that I was nine I got to go and stay at her house for a week. I loved it! She let me stay up late, we baked, went shopping and watched t.v. The thing that impressed me the most was that she took a look at this one dress I brought with me, then she turned around and made three more just like it. Maybe she is where I get my love of sewing from. After all she did make me my favourite quilt when I was a little girl.

The last question the girls asked me was "What makes this memory so vivid or special?" I think it is because although my grandma had 12 grandchildren I never felt like she loved me any more or less than any of the others. She loved me for who I was with my different interests and quirks and I knew it. I miss her incredibly. It is hard to believe that she has been gone now for fourteen years! I wish that my girls could have had the opportunity to meet her but the Lord called her home a month before Hannah was born. I was happy to give Hannah her name for her middle name and that began the tradition of giving each of our girls a middle name after someone special.

So, I have to thank  whichever teacher gave my girls this assignment so I could spend a little time remembering my grandma.

No comments: