Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cultural Adjustment - Round Two

I don't want to admit that I am struggling a bit with adjusting to a few things back in Pucallpa. In fact I hate to admit it. I want things to be easy and no one to think that it is taking me time to re-adjust. However, I need to be honest about the joys and struggles of being on the mission field and this is one of them.

It is a struggle I have always been most concerned with how our girls are doing and not really experienced before myself. So maybe that is one of the reasons I am having a harder time dealing with the fact that it is taking me longer than usual to get back into the swing of things.

As far as adjusting to our home and getting settled in we are all doing well. The girls are back in school and we have a pretty good routine set now. Tyler has started with some of his ministry responsibilities and I have taken on teaching art to all of the students in grades one through eight, as well as supply teaching math for grades six and seven for two weeks. I have not officially returned to ministry at Latidos yet because the supply teaching I am doing takes up a fair bit of my time and I want to be home in the evenings with our family as much as I can.

The thing that is most difficult for me to adjust to again is the crazy driving. Stopping when your traffic light turns yellow, going again before it turns green. Left turns on a red light, driving in between two lanes  or swerving between all three lanes so you block traffic. Not checking over your shoulder when you change lanes so you can increase the probability of sideswiping someone and taking off without stopping when you do! I know that I will get used to it again but for now it is really reminding me how different things can be from one place to another.

I also forgot how unappealing fresh fruits and vegetables are here. I was reminded this afternoon when I went to buy potatoes and carrots. Before we went back to Canada, I admit I didn't find them overly appealing either and I got used to cutting out the bad parts and not even thinking about it. Maybe it grosses me out at the moment because I can still remember spotless perfect looking fruits and vegetables  in the produce section of Zehrs. Admittedly they were expensive, but they looked incredible.

I hope that we will be able to plant our garden soon and grow some of our own vegetables. Myah really wants to learn how to make homemade spaghetti sauce with tomatoes from our garden so I guess I have a job ahead of me. One that I think will be fun to try though.

Well, thanks for listening (reading) as I rant about adjusting between cultures and life in the jungle region. I am thankful that God brought us to this part of Peru to serve him and I know that sometimes he allows difficulties into our lives to remind us to depend upon him. So, I choose to depend on him as I wait to get used to things again and be thankful that I am not alone in this journey.

No comments: